From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>

> From: Hjh4blh@aol.com
> My name is Jim Horvitz. I live in Rancho Mirage Ca which is in the low
> California desert. After several years living in a condo I got back to
> gardening last year. I find iris exciting but do not have much expertise
> growing them.  So far the plants I have appear to be doing fine inspite
of the
> 120F summers. I have tried a few rebloomers with little sucess as far as
> rebloom. New plants are all planted and I am anxiously waiting for spring
> come. Anxious to learn more from the list.

Welcome to the List, Jim! Hope you will feel that you have found what you
are looking for here.

One of the marvelous things about irises is that there are species (and
their cultivated derivatives) that are native/adapted to all sorts of
conditions and environments from the Arctic tundra to the hot deserts of
the Middle East. Your area sounds like it would be a natural for these
latter types, which are bearded irises, but ones that have differences in
form and color pattern from the more commonly grown types that lend them a
very exotic appearance. Collectively these are known as Aril iris. There
are also hybrids between Aril irses and the more common bearded irises
called Arilbreds. If you are not familiar with these types of iris yet, you
might search the Iris-talk Archives under "aril" and "arilbred" to get to
know more about them. The Archives may be found at