From: "Zebra" <zebra@chcs.com>

From: Scott Aitken <zebra@chcs.com>

>From: "sidneygardener" <sidneygardener@email.msn.com>
>---I was recently at the TBIS board meeting and I'm wondering has there been
>any information on if they will join the AIS and if yes will they join as a
>section or a cooperating society?
>Sidney Gardener

TBIS (the Tall Bearded Iris Society) made a petition to the AIS Board in
May to be recognized as a Cooperating Society. At the AIS board meeting
during the Denver Convention (early June), an advisory committee was formed
to study the proposal. The complete text of the AIS Advisory Committee
meeting can be found in the July AIS Bulletin, pg 77.

My summary and interpretation:   AIS won't recognize TBIS as a Cooperating
Society, because there would be too many areas of conflict and overlap. The
AIS committee recommended that the TBIS reconsider, and seek recognition as
a Section, rather than a Cooperating Society. This single -- though
significant -- change would eliminate most conflict and overlap in the eyes
of the AIS.

Phil Williams, TBIS board president, was at that AIS board meeting, and
took that information back to the TBIS board. I have no information of any
action or decisions by TBIS since then.

The complete committee meeting minutes were 5 pages of small type in the
bulletin, so I won't reprint it here. If anyone wants to see the complete
text, but does not have access to a July Bulletin, please email me
privately, and I will email you the complete text.

My own thoughts on the matter: As long as there is any possibility of
competing conventions or significant fractioning of the general "iris
community", I rather doubt that the AIS would consider it in their best
interest to actively go along with it. If the TBIS wants to exist in
harmony with AIS, with the intent of augmenting and supporting AIS goals,
then I would guess that AIS would be quite willing to approve. Of course,
if the TBIS has a different aim in mind, they are quite free to do whatever
they want without the approval of AIS. It's a free country, after all.

Scott Aitken
Official AIS Web Site:  http://www.isomedia.com/homes/AIS