Re: HIST: old IB

From: "Dan & Marilyn Mason" <dmason@rainyriver.Lakeheadu.Ca>

12/01/98 Anner Whitehead HIPSource@aol.com wrote:

<So Dan, please tell us some more about the little historic
iris in question. What does it look like and so forth? We
like little historic irises around here...You been to our
HIPS page yet? We invite you to check it out:

The "Bowers unknown" from Betty and Glenn Bowers of
Pennsylvania in the "unknown" section of the Historical part
of the above website is very similar to the old IB which I
wrote recent messages about as growing better (less problem
with borers) when not cleanly cultivated.

The "Bowers unknown" photo made it look like the standards
were white going to yellow at the edges. The iris growing
here I think had more solid yellow standards, close to
dandelion yellow. I apologize for not having a photo I could
scan and jpeg for comparison. I will take one next June. The
iris here grows about 16" high when growing well. It has
never made seed. It blooms with TBs.

This local IB when blooming I have noticed near several
homes along the main highway at this west end of the Rainy
River Valley. In the eastern end of the district and in Ft.
Frances I've noticed many homes growing a similar iris, only
the falls are more brick reddish than purplish, the plants
are slightly taller, and bloom several days later.

I doubt if many people in this district spray, cleanly
cultivate, or clean up debris around their iris. Most are
grown around the foundations of homes. Probably the reason
this iris survives is because it is good at surviving
without clean cultivation, frequent division, spraying, etc.

The original white settlers to this district arrived by
railroad in the early 1900s. Most of them came from the
Ottawa River Valley area of eastern Ontario before they came
here. I wouldn't be surprised to see this same iris fairly
common in that region.

My starts to this iris were from a couple very small clumps
growing near an abandonned homesite. They were growing out
of grass sod which had not been mowed for years. The only
time they were very noticeable was when they bloomed.

If I can find a photo of them I'll make a jpg. for you, but
I don't think I have one.

Dan Mason  zone 3/ NW Ontario