Re: SPEC: versicolor?

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

	Celia Storey wrote:

>Quick question to New Englanders: On a weekend visit to the family in Rhode
>Island, my cousins remembered finding what they called "blue swamp irises"
>or "blue flags" growing around the coves and inlets of Newport. They
>described "smallish" plants with beardless blooms, mostly blue-violet,
>veined violet and with a little yellow on the falls.
>I guessed they were talking about versicolors. Is this likely? Anyone know
>the wild irises of Newport, RI?

	They were probably I. versicolor...they abound all over the
	New England states.

	Dennis Kramb wrote about Celia's post:

>Prismatica grows up there...could it be that?

	If they were I. prismatica and are still there, let us know. What
	a find that would be. The only native I. prismatica that I am aware
	of 'still' in New England *was* found in Southern New Hampshire
	near the seacoast area around Portsmouth. I think some of the good
	folks from the ISM (Iris Society of Massachusetts) saved some
	plants..notably Marty Schafer and Jan Sacks (Joe Pye Weed's Garden).
	The site was destroyed by development (?).

	There may be other sites were I. prismatica is found in this
	corner of the world that I am not privy to - that goes without
	saying. :)

	According to the WOI, there is a "slightly larger form (of I.
	prismatica)....in the Appalchians of Tennessee to Georgia known
	as the variety 'austrina'....AIS registry under the name of

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~	"One touch of nature makes the
Ellen Gallagher  /  e_galla@moose.ncia.net		whole world kin"
Northern New Hampshire, USA    /   Zone 3a
Lancaster, NH   in  'The Great North Woods'