Labels

From: Dianne Dalla Santa <dalla@apollo.ruralnet.net.au>

This year, with the Australian Iris Convention happening here, I gave a lot
of thought to the labels in my garden not just on the irises but also roses
and many other things.  I use Aluminium strips from venetian blinds, some
inserted lengthwise into the ground with the name written on both the part
above the ground and also put just a few letters or initials below ground
level which never fades. Lately I have been converting the labels to being
held horizontally above the ground in holders my hubby makes from old
fencing wire. As all my irises are grown in a garden setting and not in
rows I was conscious of these garish white labels spoiling photographs. I
went to local hardware store to buy a flat green paint to alter the
aluminium strips to a colour that has aesthetic appeal. I took in an iris
leaf to match the colour. The poor fellow thought I was nuts but still
helped. Nothing on the charts matched until he produced a tin of green
blackboard paint. BINGO. Flat, perfect shade of green, easily applied with
a little roller and quickdrying. The name I print on with a cattle ear tag
marking pen and from a reasonable distance the labels blend unobrusively
into the background and  still clearly identify the plant. I didn't quite
get them all done in time for the convention but have decided they looks
heaps better than the originals.
Dianne, Victoria, Oz. with daylilies brightening my garden while I dig irises.