Re: SPEC: versicolor?

From: dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, celia storey wrote:

> From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>
> Quick question to New Englanders: On a weekend visit to the family in Rhode
> Island, my cousins remembered finding what they called "blue swamp irises"
> or "blue flags" growing around the coves and inlets of Newport. They
> described "smallish" plants with beardless blooms, mostly blue-violet,
> veined violet and with a little yellow on the falls.
>
> I guessed they were talking about versicolors. Is this likely? Anyone know
> the wild irises of Newport, RI?
> celia mailto:storey@aristotle.net Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b

There's anothr possibility. I virginica var shrevei is also native to
this area. (It's the northern virginica.)

--
Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
cold edge of Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada

URL for the North American Native Irises web page
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html