From: Dianne Dalla Santa <dalla@apollo.ruralnet.net.au>

Dear Iris folk

Now that I have a little more time to indulge myself at this computer, the
Sunraysia Iris Convention business almost dealt with, I thought I would
post some excerpts from our 44 page programme over the next few weeks.  I
can't send photo's but I can send the text. We were fortunate to have
Heather Pryor attend  from Sydney, joining us for the opening dinner, the
day tour to South Australia, the visit to the Australian Inland Botanic
Garden and river cruise luncheon on our mighty Murray River. Heather was
one of our guest speakers during the convention and her presentation on
Louisiana iris was nothing short of excellent, resulting in us all wanting
to grow Iris Haven La's in Mildura. Thank you Heather and we are all
looking forward to our parcels from Iris Haven.
The welcoming dinner was attended by 62 people and after messages of
welcome from Heather, Anne Jackson, Victorian President, the convention was
officailly opened by Cr Ann Mansell representing the Mayor of Mildura Rural
City Council.
Heather's message to the 157 participants who attended part or all of the
convention follows.

On behalf of the Iris Society of Australia, I would like to welcome  you
all to the 1998 Sunraysia Convention.  The Victorian Region of the Iris
Society of Australia is our host, and active local members, especially
Dianne and Bill Dalla Santa, have worked hard for many months to make this
dream a  reality for us all to enjoy.   The Programme which has been
prepared is both innovative, diverse and  unique.  I am sure that there
will be something for everyone to enjoy and  to take home with them to
share with others.
Our Society is celebrating its 50th Anniversary during the Convention.
This is truly a milestone for our small Society, which now has active
Regions in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and Western
Australia with several Sub-Regions in those States as well.  Thank you for
joining us in celebrating this marvellous achievement.  While we pause to
look back over the last fifty years of promoting irises,  hybridising,
gardening and horticultural friendships, we must also marvel at the
enormous strides that have been made by avid Irisarians around the globe in
providing us with the marvellous garden specimens that we enjoy today.
Without their efforts, enthusiasm and love for irises, the world would be a
sorrier place today, I am sure.  There is a member of the iris family that
will grow in almost every  possible garden situation, in almost every
geographic region and on almost every continent in all four seasons.  What
a marvellous genus the Iridaceae family is!
I am sure that you will enjoy the Convention of the Iris Society of
Australia in sunny Mildura, Victoria.  I hope that during the Convention
you will develop and enhance your knowledge and love of irises,  make new
friends who share your interest in this beautiful genus and enjoy all that
the Sunraysia area of Australia has to offer.
It has been my pleasure to hold the position of Federal President for the
last two years and on behalf of the Iris Society of Australia I welcome you
to  the Convention.
Heather Pryor.
Federal President

Our first day of garden tours commenced with 3 coaches and 114 people
travelling  approximately 170 km into South Australia. In the garden that
follows we enjoyed the first of many refreshment breaks and the Loxton
Garden Club ladies had prepared nothing short of a banquet for us all.
"Cottage and Iris Garden"
			Trevor and Judy Hentschke
			Anderson Road, Loxton North, S.A.

Our introduction to the world of irises commenced 20 years ago when
plantings of the older white, yellow and purple became part of our garden's
The early 80's saw a more serious interest and enthusiasm develop for these
beautiful plants.  After visiting an iris display garden in Adelaide, we
were enchanted by their delicate finery and heady fragrance.  We were
similarly amazed by the range of different varieties.
Over the next few years we could boast having over 200 different varieties.
They graced our driveway and garden beds in massed plantings and what a
picture they were!   Our cold, frosty winters and hot summers seem to be an
ideal climate for growing iris.
In November 1995 we replaced two rows of orange trees on the northern side
of the house with a large garden room.  Using a formal layout, we have
aimed for and believe we have achieved a sense of balance and harmony
through design and plantings.
Circular, paisley, rectangular and square shapes with lawned paths are a
feature of the design.  Massed flower plantings of nemesia, roses,
pelargoniums and nandina, with hedges of lavender, box, and lingustrum
undulatum provide the living colour.
Irises are planted in each of the garden beds with interplantings of
annuals and perennials including pansies, snapdragons, larkspurs, freesias,
daffodils, anemones, ranunculi, pentstemons, scabiosa, daisies, roses,
lobelia, calendula and more.
Height is gained using standard roses, standard birches, Ballerina Maypole
crabapple trees and Seafoam weeping roses over wagon wheels supports in
each of the large circular beds.
Garden structures include an almost completed latticed Victorian arbor at
the easterly entrance to be adorned with a purple wisteria.  Centred on the
northern boundary is a latticed rose arbor which features white climbing
banksia roses, while the western end of the gardens has a rectangular
shaped gazebo with pink tecoma on two sides.  The latter two structures
provide seating to rest, chat and appraise the surroundings.
The six foot high cyclone trellis on the northern boundary will be planted
with a variety of climbing plants to replace the frost- damaged, Snowcap
bougainvilleas.  The garden bed in front of the trellis consists of
agapanthus interplanted with belladonna lilies, in front of which are China
Doll roses.  A hedge of seaside daises is planted at the forefront of this
Similarly, the western boundary has a cyclone trellis on which we have
espaliered Black Knight buddleia.
The smaller garden room on the south eastern side of the house consists of
lawned paths with one small circular shaped bed along with four paisley and
four rectangular shaped beds.  The circular bed features a weeping
Bloomfield Courage rose supported by a wagon wheel structure, while the
other beds are planted to irises and a variety of annuals and perennials.
The beds on the south eastern side are enclosed with new plantings of
golden privet to hedge,  a small hedge of cotton lavender at the northern
aspect and a trellis of sweetpeas on the western side.
Between these garden rooms and in front of the house is the most recently
established area with the work being completed during 1998.   A paisley
shaped layout is used and features lawned paths, garden beds, claybrick
paving and a fountain.  Standard Iceberg roses, pansies, snapdragons, a
Gleditsia tree and white lilac are features of this area of our garden.

Cheerio for now