MED?/AR? long

From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>

In running pedigrees for Cook-Douglas winners a fascinating problem was
encountered that I have not found extensively discussed.

Some background:

From the 1960 R & I: EASTER HOLIDAY (Durrance). D58-21. SDB 10" E. Y3.
Yellow-chartreuse bitone; lavender beard. Brownie X Sari. HC '59. 11-16-60.

From the 1969 Check List: EASTER HOLIDAY (Durrance, R '60). D58-21. SDB 10"
E. Y3. Yellow-chartreuse bitone; lavender beard. Brownie X Sari. HC '59, HM
'62, JC '63, Cook-Douglas Award '65. Long '61.

The Registrar accepted 'Sari' as a cultivar in both the R & I and again
when the Check List was compiled.

From the MIS 1992 Check List: EASTER HOLIDAY (Durrance SDB 1960). Sdlg
D58-21. SDB 10" (25 cm), E. Yellow-chartreuse bitone; lavender beard.
Brownie X I. sari. HC '59, HM '62, JC '62, '63,  C-D '65. Long '61.

Obviously, knowledge was available to Jim Foreman that the 'Sari' of the R
& I and C.L. was possibly I. sari of some form. (short?, tall?, the 1932
Schreiner lupina?, one of the lurida's?)

If we are really dealing with an onco sari -- (Easter Holiday was not
mentioned in the Kay Nelson Keppel/Sharon McAllister Check List or in any
ASI C.L.'s -- which would lead one to believe that it is NOT half onco or
at least displays no obvious aril characteristics) what is it?

Was there an unregistered SDB in common circulation in the 50s with a
garden name of 'Sari'?

The 1939 Check List has an entry under sari: 'Schreiner 1932 as lupina.'

In looking through my '32 Schreiner's I find, under 'Oncocyclus for Fall
Delivery' -- Lupinda.....$2.00 and the description: "Lupinda is a smaller
duskier form not exactly pretty but useful for breeding, relatively easy to
grow."

Could this have been the form of I. sari that Jack Durrance used to get
EASTER HOLIDAY? Or is there no onco involved in EASTER HOLIDAY?

Cheers,

Mike,  mlowe@worldiris.com   --   http://www.worldiris.com
South Central Virginia, USA; USDA Zone 7A