Re: MED?/AR? long

From: Tom Tadfor Little <tlittle@telp.com>

>I don't know anything about "Sari", but Easter Holiday does have a small
>amount of Onco blood from its pod parent, Brownie.  Brownie's pod parent was a
>Geddes Douglas seedling: (Minnie Colquitt X I. pumila).  The pollen parent was
>Zwanenburg: (Lutescens aurea x I. susiana).  Zwanenburg is in the Aril
>Checklist, but Brownie and Easter Holiday are not.  They, apparently, were
>registered as MDB and SDB respectively, and therefore are not recognized by
>the Aril Society.

When I compiled the checklist of arilbred dwarfs and medians for the MIS, I
assumed (from the parentage) that Easter Holiday was 1/2 aril, but did not
show sufficient aril characteristics to be registered as an arilbred. This
may be a false assumption, as the true pollen parent may not be I. sari. A
chromosome count has been done on Easter Holiday, with a result of 40. I
interpreted this as two aril sets, a pumila set, and a TB set, but it may
just be a typical SDB complement. I will have to check the original
reference for the count (one of the old ASI yearbooks) and see if there are
any notes indicating whether aril chromosomes were present.

Brownie, in all likelihood, has one complete set of aril chromosomes, as
Zwanenburg is reported to have two aril sets (unreduced gamete from the
pollen parent).

I'll see if I can find out more and post something tomorrow.