CULT - bud count

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

   Someone once told me, somewhat facetiously, to take the bud count
given in catalogs from Oregon and subtract three to get a more
reasonable bud count for the East.
   I don't get great bud counts on a lot of stalks. I don't expect the
13-15 that some catalogs will claim for certain varieties, but it
seems like a lot get only four or five, even with big, healthy
rhizomes. I get 5-6 hours direct sun.
   What factors influence bud count? Is there any way to increase bud
count, short of moving next door to Mike Sutton? Enquiring minds want
to know!!!
Vince Lewonski
Secane, PA
In some cultures, what I do would be considered normal!