Re: CULT: outdoor seed planting time? + Fall Crosses

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: CULT: outdoor seed planting time? + Fall Crosses
  • From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 07:18:29 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is

From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

> Date:          Sat, 05 Dec 1998 06:53:45 -0800
> From:          Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
> To:            Iris-talk <iris-talk@onelist.com>
> Subject:       [iris-talk] CULT: outdoor seed planting time?

> From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
> What are the rest of you doing with this year's iris seeds?
	Linda, life goes on.  You go ahead and plant them and forget about
the weather.  My bearded seeds have been in the freezer since August.
 I took them out Friday after Thanksgiving and have planted them in
pots outdoors.  Eventually, it will get cold and you may regret later
not having planted them.  I believe (according to our local
weatherpeople) that this is the last warm week-end of the season.
We shall see.

Re Mike Sutton's fall crosses.  I have tried this earlier in the
fall, not December, and have matured pods.  BUT, none of the seeds
germinated!  I think it can be done, but not this late in the season
and with 33o temps. Mike mentioned, that is frosty weather that can
severely damage the pod.

		Walter Moores
		Enid Lake, MS 7/8 (enjoying record breaking temps in the 70-80o
range for the last two to three weeks)