Digest Number 203

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Tom Tadfor Little wrote:

>  Sharon has covered the background on Easter Holiday quite well. I just
>  to add a few small pieces of (non)evidence.

An excellent description of the available clues.   I've had to rely heavily
on what was NOT said, but perhaps it will help to present some more tidbits
that Tom so aptly classifies as (non)evidence.

>  The chromosome count by Freeman Yendall was reported in the 1970 ASI
>  Yearbook. The text accompanying the counts was apparently written by the
>  editor, Tom Wilkes. I was hoping that there might be at least a word or
>  indicating whether the forty chromosomes included any aril sets. This is
>  easy to determine when one is making the count. However, there is no
>  comment.

Freeman Yendall shared chromosome count information in the Hybridizers'
Robin as well as in newsletters, and Tom wrote the YB summary using the
available tidbits -- so it's possible the information survives somewhere.
Unfortunately, the EASTER HOLIDAY count predates my involvement and I don't
have those records.  I did join the Robin while Freeman was still active,
though, so I know his practice was to count only those cultivars which
exhibited some promise as breeders.  [This may come as a shock to some, but
it hasn't been THAT long since the discovery that an arilbred had some
fertility was worthy of note in the ASI newsletter.]   Something about the
behavior of EASTER HOLIDAY made him doubt that it was a triploid as would
normally be the case with its pedigree.  Most likely, it was unexpectedly

Sharon McAllister