ADMIN: Subject Tag Reminder

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

We have a lot of new (and rejoined) subscribers now (we are up to 260+
members) and I thought I would take a moment to remind everyone to use Subject tags.

Subject tags are used to help subscribers who use filters to sort their mail,
and for others to decide whether they want to read or delete a message.

Subject Tags are used to preface the subject you select for the messages you
send to the list.

Use only the Subject Tags listed in the Welcome message you got when you
subscribed to iris-talk (You DID read it didn't you?) I have also included the
list below. You might want to print it out for future reference.

The format is the tag in ALL CAPS, followed by a colon (:), followed by your
subject. (no space between the subject tag and the colon)

[Subject tag]:[your subject description]

The colon is a very important part of the tag.

For instance:

REB: Mariposa Skies in California

Would be a proper Subject Tag and subject line

Reb-Mariposa Skies in California

would *NOT* be a proper tag (not in all caps and a "-" instead of a ":")

Remember it is ok to fix a Subject Tag when you reply, and to change the Tag
and subject if your reply is wondering far afield of the original subject.

Don't forget to cut out all that unnecessary text from your replies.

If you are having any trouble with any of this, please contact me directly at:

 TAG    Used For
----   --------

 TB:    tall bearded irises
 MED:   median and dwarf bearded irises
 AR:    arilbred and aril irises
 SIB:   Siberian irises
 LA:    Louisiana irises
 JI:    Japanese irises
 SPU:   spuria irises
 PCN:   Pacific coast native irises
 BULB:  bulb irises (Dutch, reticulatas, Junos)
 SPEC:  iris species (particularly those not covered in another category)

 REB:   reblooming irises
 SA:    space-age irises
 HIST:  historic irises and history of iris development

 CULT:  culture
 HYB:   hybridizing
 REF:   references (books and society publications)
 SHOW:  iris shows and related topics
 IRC:   IRC chat sessions (currently Friday nights)
 AIS:   American Iris Society business and issues
 PHOTO: iris photography
 COMP:  iris-related computer topics (record keeping, photo digitizing, etc.)
 CAT:   iris catalogs and discussion of commercial nurseries
 AD:    iris-related advertisement (ads not related to irises are *not*

 OT-PLANTS: other garden plants (not irises)
 OT-ART:    iris-motif art and craftwork
 OT-HUMOR:  iris-related humor
 OT-CHAT:   personal messages and conversation (consider taking it off-list!)
 OT-BIO:    introduction from a new subscriber (please follow with your name)

 ADMIN:    Reserved for list owner

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:

To reply to me personally click on