Re: SPEC: Roy Davidson ancestry (was Leaf sectioning)

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>

> From: "sidneygardener"
> Christy,
> I don't know about leaf cross section studies, but you're right about it
> being all I. psuedacorus. Roy Davidson (B. Hager, R. 1987) is sdlg.
> #3 from Holden Clough (D. Patton R. 1971) which is I. chrysographes x I.
> pseudacorus according to AIS Iris Check list.

You have correctly reported the information printed in the 1979 AIS
Checklist. However, there is an update to the ancestry of HOLDEN CLOUGH
contained in the '89 Checklist as follows:

"Change of classification and description to: Wide apogon hybrid of unknown
origin and totally unlike I. chrysographes with which it was found growing.
Resembles both I. pseudacorus and I. foetidissima and in many respects
seems intermediate between the two. Evergreen foliage in warmer climates.
Occasionally sets seed with colored flesh outer seedcoat. Flesh of rhizome
is pinkish as in I. pseudacorus. Chromosome count 2n=37 made by Ellis."

To further muddy the waters, Bill Shear has questioned the attribution of
parentage to I. foetidissima based on his own breeding work with that

I grow ROY DAVIDSON, and to my eye the flower is very much like pseudacorus
in appearance, though the foliage is not.