SPEC: Holden Clough

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>From: "sidneygardener" <sidneygardener@email.msn.com>
>
>Christy,
>
>I don't know about leaf cross section studies, but you're right about it not
>being all I. psuedacorus. Roy Davidson (B. Hager, R. 1987) is sdlg. Clough
>#3 from Holden Clough (D. Patton R. 1971) which is I. chrysographes x I.
>pseudacorus according to AIS Iris Check list.

I think Holden Clough is now regarded as a cross of pseudacorus and
foetidissima--almost as unbelievable.  The original parentage was based on
the fact that the plant came up in a row of chrysographes seedlings, but
that seems to be irrelevant now.  Has anyone ever considered that HC is
just a mutant of some kind and is all pseudacorus?  As it grows in my
garden, it appears the same as pseudacorus except for the flower color.
But it seems Christy has found some differences in leaf cross-sectional
anatomy.

What are the differences?

I seem to recall some extensive discussion in SIGNA a few years ago, but it
would require some digging to find.  Where is that darned promised SIGNA
index, anyhow?

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College