Re: SPEC: Holden Clough

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

The interior structures, if the leaf sections are held horizontally, are easiest for me to describe in contruction terms since they resemble the frame before the drywall goes up.

To give a bit of background on what I've seen on some:

The known purebred I.psueds in my garden show a structure similar to the cleanest of the Sibs. The supports are visible across the entire leaf and most of the supports run from top to bottom with relatively few cross braces. The psueds are easy enough to distinguish from the Sibs by the rib effect on the outside, tho.

Fulva is probably the closest in character to the psueds and Sibs, but the precision is jarring when compared to either and it looks like the ends of the supports are "anchored". In construction, the difference would be like comparing a stud that was toed in to one reinforced with a metal hanger.

I.virginica (from the small batch I have) looks positively Gothic in its construction. Heavily anchored ends at top and bottom where the ribbing shows on the outside of the leaves and arching supports on the interiors, some of which are joined at their center. The supports tend to decrease in length till they disappear part way to the sides. So far, nothing else even comes close to this pattern.

Ensata looks like nothing else. Where most of the other species I've seen show some vertical supports past the center of the leaf, these show none. The leaf on either side of the rib is flat. The rib area is a compact collection of random supports with a ton of insulation packed into most areas. Looks like they were done by a builder on acid.

Unfortunately, I don't have I.chrysographes or foetidissima to compare.

My initial reaction when I looked at HC was that I was seeing the arches that show in the virginica superimposed on the psued.

After reading the descriptions of HC and Holden's Child, I had to wonder about the heavier markings and the red-violet color mentioned in these. It's the red-violet bloom that really threw me... I've never heard of this color in the virginicas.

Anyone have any idea what I.chrys or I.foetidissima look like?

Christy Hensler

Newport, WA
http://www.povn.com/rock/