Re: CULT: outdoor seed planting time?

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: CULT: outdoor seed planting time?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 07:36:46 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Pat in Dallas asked:
> Do you chill your seeds in the refrig. for six weeks as soon as they
> are
> ripe?
> That is what I was told to do.   Then I plant each batch in a different pot
> and start them

Pat - in the past, I have just planted them in washtubs or big flats out
in the yard.  These little dudes are going to have to survive some
dreadful growing conditions here, so I want to get them off to a
'normal' start.  'Normally' they get plenty of chilling and wet soaking
out in the ground.  I was surprised to hear that Walter stores his seeds
in the fridge and that you've heard that's the thing to do.  I'd be
afraid I'd forget to get them out at the right time.  What you are doing
will get bigger plants faster, I'm sure, and maybe save a year till
bloom time.  Too much fussin' around for me tho.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA