From: Dana Brown <ddbro@llano.net>

I took the liberty of forwarding some of the news and questions about
the TBIS to a friend of mine, Ramona Howard, who is on the Board of the
TBIS.  She sent this back to me and asked if I would post it back to

> What many persons who were not at the board meeting in Denver do
> not know and evidently the AIS board doesn't want them to know is that > we made every effort to have a meeting with the AIS board and they
> wouldn't EVEN discuss meeting with the board members of TBIS and
> officers in Denver.  Instead, they chose to have a secret meeting most
> of the night and come up with all those items that they wanted TBIS to
> agree to before they would even consider whether they would accept
> TBIS as a cooperating society or Section of AIS.  The way it was
> proposed was that even if TBIS agreed to all those stipulations, which
> meant changing our by-laws, among other items, they still might not
> agree to accept us as any part of AIS.  We could have done everything
> they asked for and that still didn't guarantee our being accepted in
> any capacity.  AIS officers and board members assumed many things and
> ran scared before they knew any of the objectives of TBIS.  It has not
> been nor will not be in the future the objective of TBIS to interfere
> in any of the workings of AIS, nor did we say that we would EVER have
> a convention at the same time as AIS.  This was an assumption that
> someone had and had no basis in fact.  The fact that many persons
> wanted to have a society that promoted Tall Bearded irises was the
> only reason the society was ever formed.  We had every intention of
> working with AIS and encouraging our members to join and be a part of
> AIS.  It is the same as any section or cooperating society of AIS.
> Nothing more or less.
> There seems to be some sort of paranoia about the organization(TBIS)
> which comes from some members of AIS on the board and some of its
> officers without really knowing anything about it.  They are going on
> inuendo and misinformation and spreading it around like wildfire.  Ron
> Mullin stated that the reason TBIS applied to AIS to be a cooperating
> society is because the sections are SUPPOSED to require that their
> members be AIS members before they become members of that certain
> section of AIS, however it is common knowledge that many of the
> members of those sections are in fact NOT members of AIS and AIS has
> no way to police their membership.  TBIS, not wanting to be in the
> same position of really not abiding by AIS rules, decided it would be
> better to be a cooperating society in order to get persons to belong
> to the Tall bearded society and then encourage them to become members
> of AIS.  He also stated that in the ENGLISH language the word
> "cooperating" actually means working together and that was exactly
> what we had in mind for TBIS and AIS.
> It was the AIS board and officers that seemed to read other intentions
> into our starting the TBIS.  No where in our by-laws did we state that
> we would EVER hold a convention in conflict with AIS and it is not our
> desire to do so. The only thing that was in the by-laws that the AIS
> [...]

Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7 Usda, Zone 10 Sunset
Average:   rainfall of 17.76", wind speed of 12.5 mph, 164 days
of clear weather, 96 of which dip below freezing.