HIST: REB: Lustre (Dykes 25)

From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>

Rebloom progenitors are always of interest. However, when you move away
from the Sass lines (particularly Rameses!) it is always difficult to point
to an ancestor and say with any degree of confidence, "the rebloom trait
entered here!"

An example is POLAR KING (Donahue 39), introduced as a rebloomer and the
first iris introduced as a reblooming cultivar to be awarded an AIS Award
of Merit. PK has a recorded pedigree of: MOONLIGHT (Dykes 23) X Dominion

DOMINION (Bliss 17) is ubiquitous in iris pedigrees and many students of
rebloom have been uncomfortable in ascribing any strong tendency to foster
rebloom to the Dominion influence. On the other hand, rebloom in W. R.
Dykes' line of iris introductions is very poorly documented. When the
choice is as above, either pointing to something such as Dominion as the
carrier of rebloom or ascribing the trait to a Dykes cultivar, the tendency
has been to, reluctantly, go with Dominion.

I am surprised (and pleased!) to report that every fan in a reset clump of
LUSTRE (Dykes 25) is reblooming in my garden. I obtained Lustre in '96 and
it struggled in a poor location until this past summer when I moved it into
a better location. LUSTRE's rebloom tendency appears strong albeit late,
and it is gratifying to have demonstrated that rebloom is a factor in at
least one of Dykes' introductions.

Mike,  mlowe@worldiris.com   --   http://www.worldiris.com
South Central Virginia, USA; USDA Zone 7A