Re: SPEC: I. tectorum

From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>

Both Kathy and Dorothy commented on the difficulty of growing tectorum
in a colder climate.  Our climate is Zone 4B, officially, although
leaning towards 5 this year and 3 in some past years.  I. tectorum has
grown exceptionally well for me this year and flowered for some weeks.
As you can read in the archives, this was not the case a couple of years
ago when I could hardly keep it alive.  At the same time, Gardens North,
which is only 10 miles away, had a beautify 100 ft row of them which was
is full sun.  They lost all of the row to borer except for a few
isolated white ones.  At that time, mine were in the sun but the present
plants are largely in the shade or half shade.  I also have a piece of
the GN whiteflowered plant which is growing well in the garden and very
well in the house.

My present success might be the warmer climate this year, we will see,
but I do not mulch anything.  My view is that, in this climate, mulching
is not necessary.

Ian, in Ottawa where my Penstemons are still in flower despite a -5C
frost last night.  They have flowered since June.