SHOW: Oz Convention report

From: Dianne Dalla Santa <dalla@apollo.ruralnet.net.au>

Di's note: Thursday we visited gardens closer to Mildura. The Murray River
forms the border between Victoria and New South Wales and we crossed over
the George Chaffey Bridge into NSW to visit the following gardens. The
garden below did have quite a few iris in bloom, around a little pond area
and TB's through the perennial borders.

		The garden of Margot and Dennis Mills,
				 Gol Gol. NSW

The garden began just over 30 years ago when the land was bought for a
horticultural property and the scrub was cleared.  We planted the north
side of the garden first with mainly native varieties because of our lack
of water.
 The garden on the south side of the house was planted with lots of old
fashioned shrub and climbing roses about fifteen years ago, when we
extended our then small cottage, and have now formed a dense screen.
The soil here is a grey clay which roses love and it also holds moisture
well.  Roses in this part of the garden that we are often asked about are
Crepuscule, Autumnalis, Old Blush and The Fairy. The large bush by the
tennis court is Archiduc Joseph.
The small lake was put in about five years ago.  All the plantings quickly
followed as our water supply became most reliable with a new auxiliary pump
operating in our settlement to keep the line full all the time.
We have planted quite a lot of deciduous trees together with roses and
perennials. The bed through the arbour is planted mostly with David Austin
roses, together with some more old fashioned varieties.  The roses on the
arbour which you will walk through are Pierre de Ronsard.  By the gate on
the roadside, we have planted Mary Rose on one side and Troilus on the
other, with a small hedge of catmint and a further path edged with
convolvulus cneorum.  Along the side fence we have planted an Olive Walk
under planted with lavender and iris, whilst on the other side of the
circle there are six Golden Hornet Crab Apples.  Under the English Elm, I
would like to establish many different types of Hellebores as they seem
suited to the site.
The north side of the house was renovated recently, so the garden
surrounding it is quite new except of course for the trees.  At the back of
the house is the kitchen garden where herbs and some vegetables are grown.
The garden is a pleasure to us and we hope that you enjoy your visit.

		Sunraysia Garden Centre and Nurseries

You may choose to take the optional Green Thumb group tour at a cost of $2
per person.  The tour will commence on our arrival and highlights the many
aspects of large scale plant propagation of the horticultural requirements
of growers Australia-wide, including citrus, grapevines and fruit trees and
a myriad of general garden lines.  Morning tea is available at your expense
in the Spanish Cafe` and sufficient time will be allowed to enjoy both.

        Keighley Hill Bonsai

EXPERIENCE THE TRANQUILITY & BEAUTY OF BONSAI
AT KEIGHLEY HILL BONSAI

November 1998 saw the purchase of a bare block of land in Buronga NSW.  The
relocation of my fourth generation family home to this site was the
beginning of a challenge.  A challenge to transform this bare block of land
into a place of ever-changing beauty.

GARDEN
Having grown up in a family with a love of gardens and plant collecting,
our garden consists of a wide range of annuals, perennials, shrubs and
trees, creating a picturesque rambling cottage garden with seasonal
interest.  As with most gardens, they are forever changing as are our ideas
develop.  The development of a water feature and conifer garden over the
last five years has been a beautiful tranquil addition.  With deep sandy
red loams and a warm and long growing season, the gardens have established
themselves exceptionally well.  Each year brings noticeable changes.
Watering and good mulch is much needed through our hot temperate summers (
annual rainfall of 10 1/2 inches) which is in contrast to winters with
frost conditions.

BONSAI NURSERY
 From a strong personal interest in bonsai since 1982, the concept of
developing a bonsai nursery began in 1990. Since then the opening of our
nursery and gardens in May, 1993, many long but rewarding hours have been
spent developing this idea to the stage we are at now.
The past four or five years have seen a concentrated effort towards
building up plant variety and stock numbers.  With now more than 8000
plants in training, Hill can now offer a selection of hardy trees and
shrubs suitable to bonsai training.  A range of pots, tools, books and
accessories are also available.

BONSAI DISPLAY
Visitors can enjoy a walk through our private collection and view a varied
display of trees and shrubs from traditional species such as maples,
junipers and pines to the more uncommon plants like Physocarpus 'Ninebark.'
Even Australian native plants. Imagine this - a normally large Moreton Bay
Fig but only 3 inches tall growing in a couple of teaspoons of soil and
eight years old.  You will be amazed.

TEAROOMS
A tearoom are situated in what was the original lounge/dining rooms of our
fully restored home.  Built in 1928, the use of red pine and Oregon timbers
throughout the house creates a homely ambience that visitors can relax  in
and enjoy a wide range of coffees, teas, cold drinks and snacks.  Group
bookings for the tearoom are welcomed but only by prior appointment.

We do look forward to meeting you when you visit.

Your hosts, Jason and Julieanne Underhill.

 Australian Inland Botanic Garden.

We have watched this wonderful project grow from the vermin and weed
infested paddocks to what it is today. The gardens, which continue to grow
and blossom with every passing year, a testimony to the dedicated citizens
of Sunraysia, would never have become a reality without  their insight,
continued support and sheer hard work.  The Garden, a long-term project, is
still in its infancy.   On completion, it provide a magnificent asset for
future generations.   On our arrival in the gardens we will stop at the
Rose Garden.  Mr Bill Bowring will be your guide for a short informative
train tour. This will allow you to see a greater portion of the developing
gardens in a relatively comfortable manner other than foot and you will
soon see why!

Di's note:  The AIBG has the potential to become one of Australia's finest
botanic gardens. At present it is less than a decade old! The rose garden
in particular is one of the best in Australia according to members of
visiting rose societies. There is a huge amount of land set aside to be
developed by future generations. The developing garden is divided into the
areas that represent all the continents of the world and the plantings must
be representative of that particular area.  The irrigation and fertigation
is all computerised as is the history of every plant.

Cheerio
Dianne who will take you on a riverboat cruise next.