SPEC: Iris tectorum.

From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>

> We have one clump of I. tectorum in full sun and one with dappled shade
> of the day.  Both have done well.  And like Ellen, we have lots of the
> mulch.  Maybe tectorum just doesn't the freeze-thaws that are experienced
> zone 5?

Maureen, Ellen, and all,
     In Lexington, KY, we had many freeze-thaw cycles each winter.  My
plants of Iris tectorum there were around a Dogwood Tree.  The leaves gave
the plants dapple shade in the summer, protecting them from the often
intense heat.  In the winter, when the sun was at a much lower angle, a
neighbor's privacy fence and our house kept the base of that tree [and the
Irises] in a shadow much of the time, that is on the few days the sun was
     A similar exposure may be best for those farther north, who are in
climates where like Kentucky, snow cover is not reliable.
     Thinking of Iris tectorum, how does it perform at the other extreme?
How far south in the Southeastern states can Iris tectorum be grown?

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida.