Re: SPEC: I. tectorum

From: Sandy Ives <rives@home.com>

I will agree with the need for mulch for overwintering I. tectorum.

In Ottawa, we have been using the white stuff for two years and the
plants have been threatening to overrun everything else.  I will have to
split them next year without fail.

The plants are not in a sheltered location; they reside beside the
driveway and likely get a fair dosage of road salt as well as snow.

The plants are from seed obtained from Gardens North, North Gower, ON,
CA.  First bloom in the second year from germination and fairly heavy
bloom last year.  They have a very good catalogue of perenial seed
including various iris species.

Unusual that East Aurora and Ohio (both U.S.A.) have such trouble.
Perhaps a trade?

Sandy Ives (Ottawa ON CA where we have just had our first serious
FROST.  No snow until next week, we're about two feet behind schedule)