SPEC: I. cristata

From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>

Christy's comment of the early die-back of cristata agrees with my
experience.  It is well before tectorum or lacustris and certainly
before the sibirica.  Some of the last to turn brown are the
louisianans.  This is surprising unless one assumes that they normally
remain green and growing throughout the winter.  Last year, one remained
green right through the snow and cold and the leaves stuck through 4
inches of ice without apparent damage.  I have one or two other "water"
irises that are also holding their green leaves.

The reference to Lumbey, British Columbia shows how small the world is.
This spring my wife flew out to Vernon to look at land and houses,
including those in Lumbey, as a potential retirement home.  This autumn,
one of my sons was supervising the rebuilding of a gas station in Lumbey
and also looked a property for us!  As I have now taken up a new,
full-time cause - the create a botanical garden in Ottawa -  Lumbey must

Ian, in Ottawa