OT-BIO

From: IRISROT@aol.com

Hi all,
Just a little about myself..I am a member of AIS, MIS, SIB, JI, Species, two
local clubs here in the St Louis area Greater St Louis Iris Society & Kirkwood
Iris Society. I was president of the GSLIS club for 4 years after attending 3
meetings. But must say it was a very enjoyable experience for me. I am now in
charge of the iris planting at Missouri Botanical Gardens. I need some help on
getting top notch plants for the species bed. This can be SPEC HYBRID X or
SPEC of the wild. Would love to display plants that look good in a common
garden. Most gardeners arent interested in plants that fall over or look a
mess.
Also I noted talk about the TBIS I am a member and was at one of the
organizational meetings to be honest everyone was concerned about not hurting
AIS in anyway. This is why we put on hold for accepting ADS in the TallTalk
because there was concern from every person in attendance from Phil Williams
down to the member that we not take away fromAIS. Reason we voted to not be a
section was not to break any AIS rules. One was you aren't supposed to have
non-AIS members in a section we felt as a group we couldn't go against any
rules already laid down. we were going to be a section you should abide by the
rules not stretch them to your way of thinking.
The following statement is my opinion and only my opinion...I feel since ever
iris is represented by a section or cooperating society why shouldnt the TB.
Reason for thinking this way is...AIS can be the overseer of all...each one
can promote their iris as long as they abide by the AIS guidelines. I feel AIS
doesn't promote itself to the public as it should. It promotes itself to AIS
or club members but not to the millions of gardners across the US and world.
Yes now you can say they are with access to the internet but this should have
been done years ago. But all this bickering about TBIS and why it was formed
bothers me because most that are making these statements have not attended one
oraganizational meeting. All AIS has to do for us to become a Scetion is this
change the requirement that a member to a section need not be an AIS member.
Which I feel will help AIS not hurt...also they claim they will lose money if
this comes about...if that is so what is wrong with the sections paying AIS a
percentage as a dues each year. This could be 1 - 5 percent of the dues each
year. But let the sections promote the AIS. I am not an AIS board member but
from what I hear they need to get some backbone and not worry about individual
feelings on certain issues. If your a governing body you cant worry about
feelings. I am not say anymore on either issue...you will not hear any more
comments from me. signed Jim Loveland, Fenton, Missouri