CULT: Top Ten

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

   I know I'm late with this, but here is a list of the top 10 irises
from the 1998 Symposium for Region 3. Please keep in mind that the
number of ballots returned in the Region was low, which may affect the
results. There were a lot of ties due to the low number of votes.

1.) BEFORE THE STORM
2.) DUSKY CHALLENGER
3.) SILVERADO
4.) BRONZETTE STAR
5.) IMMORTALITY
6.) MARY FRANCES
7.) BEVERLY SILLS
8.) tie - JOYCE TERRY, O'SO PRETTY, TITAN'S GLORY
9.) tie - BREAKERS, CODICIL, EDITH WOLFORD, HELLO DARKNESS, JESSE'S
SONG, SONG OF NORWAY
10.) tie - EASTERTIME, GOING MY WAY, HONKY TONK BLUES, PURE AS THE,
STEPPING OUT, SUPREME SULTAN, VANITY, YAQUINA BLUE

   Of interest is there are five irises on this list from local
hybridizers Sterling Innerst and Evelyn Kegerise - BEFORE THE STORM,
BRONZETTE STAR, O'SO PRETTY, CODICIL, and PURE AS THE. Other local
introductions on the list that were below the top ten were AFTER THE
STORM, BERTWISTLE, SHIRLEY M, and FOREIGN STATESMAN. I don't think
that this is just a case of waving the flag for local heroes. There
were Burseen introductions on the Texas list, and LOTS of Kasparek
introductions on the Utah list. I think that this is partly because
the local intros will grow well in the same area, partly because these
are quality irises, and partly because it is more likely that nearby
growers will see, purchase, and grow these. That is one problem with
the Symposium - it doesn't necessarily reflect the best irises - many
of the "local favorites" for each Region would get more votes (and
make the list) if more people were familiar with them.
   Next year, buy everything!

==
Vince Lewonski
Secane, PA
In some cultures, what I do would be considered normal!