Re: OT-CULT: Top Ten

From: "Dave Soper" <jdsoper@thegrid.net>

-----Original Message-----
From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>
To: iris-talk@onelist.com <iris-talk@onelist.com>
Date: Thursday, December 10, 1998 5:52 PM
Subject: [iris-talk] OT-CULT: Top Ten

Vince Lewonski  wrote

>From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>
. That is one problem with
>the Symposium - it doesn't necessarily reflect the best irises - many
>of the "local favorites" for each Region would get more votes (and
>make the list) if more people were familiar with them.
>   Next year, buy everything!

How can you get a rating on how an iris will do in your garden?
Not every one wants a fast multiplier when they have only a little space.
Nor is it wise to buy the most beautiful iris in a catalog and then have it
not bloom but one in three years. I hear people complain about the growth
habits if Kilt Lilt but though it is not spectacular it does fine in the
yard. The only way I find what works in my yard is trial and error and some
of those errors are expensive. With roses there is the rose society award
which lets you know which roses do well in most areas of the us.

The Dykes and other awards seem to be based only on growth habits and beauty
(how many shows they win)? Am I wrong? What is the cheapest way to determine
"the best irises" for your garden

Dave Soper
Tempelton CA 93446
clay raised beds on a hill side