SPEC: Iris tectorum

From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>

> Dear Mark:  When I lived in the foothills of Virginia in Radford, I
learned
> thatI. tectorum likes shade. Maybe it just resents drying,   I have both
the blue and the
> white, I prefer the latter, and think it may deserve the title of THE
most
> beautiful iris blossom. The seedlings are from the white form.

Lloyd,
     I think you are right about Iris tectorum resenting drying.  Letting
it bake in summer probably costs it some of its cold tolerance.
     I keep wondering if it would survive in this part of Florida.  Summers
are steamy [normally] and the daily high temperature is near or above 90 F
for four or five months.  There are some winter freezes, but even in
January, the average daily high is 68 F.  Do you know if anyone has tried
it in Florida?
     You are right about the white form.  It is incredibly pretty.

Mark A. Cook
billc@atlantic.net
Dunnellon, Florida.