Re: CULT: Choosing What Grows Best In Your Garden

From: "Lewis,Shirlee E" <Shirlee.E.Lewis@kp.ORG>

> Dave Soper
> Tempelton CA 93446  asked
> How can you get a rating on how an iris will do in your garden?
> What is the cheapest way to determine "the best irises" for your garden
The best advice I can give you it to VISIT, VISIT, VISIT.  Visit as many
gardens as you can in the spring.  You are very fortunate that you live in
California's central valley.  Within a short drive from your home are
several commercial iris gardens.  Sutton's is in Porterville.  Mike is a
member of the Iris Chat.  They also have a web page.  In Modesto there are
two growers, Woodland Iris Gardens and The Iris Lady.  Woodland just moved.
Lorraine and Gordon are members of Iris Chat and they too have a web page.
Just farther north along Highway 99 you will find Lauer's Flowers, Roris
Gardens and Stockton Iris Gardens.  Just off Highway 99 out of Merced on the
way to Yosemite is Superstition Gardens.  This garden is owned by Rick Tasco
and Roger Duncan.  Rick mentioned that their garden will have new hours this
spring.  They are not currently members of Iris chat but you can reach them
via e-mail at

These are just a few of the California growers fairly close to you.

If you have a local iris group join.  While you are doing these things talk
to everyone and ask questions.  I have found that irisarians are a very
friendly group and willing to share their knowledge to encourage more people
to successfully grow iris.

If you are not a member of AIS join and join the sections.  I know that TBIS
is putting together a list of private gardens that will allow visitors.  I
would surmise that the other sections has something similar.

Remember VISIT -- VISIT -- VISIT.  You might not even have to wait to peak
bloom in the spring.  Ask Mike Sutton what and how much is blooming now and
in mid winter.  His garden specializes in Space Agers and Rebloomers.