Re: CULT: Iris treasure trove found...

From: "Randy C. Meuir" <rmeuir@mail.coin.missouri.edu>

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998, Chris Hollinshead wrote:

> Hello iris friends, here is one iris person with egg on his face so to
> speak. I have just now found a bag of bearded iris that I picked up in
> August of this year!...they are a little dried out at this point having been
> inside the house all this time...
>
> In any case, as we just have not had ANY sign of a winter yet I trimmed the
> roots off and soaked them in water for a couple of hours. Tomorrow I will
> plant them out in the garden and we will see what happens in the spring.
> What a dopey thing to do. Hope they will at least get growing again. For
> sure there will not be any 1999 bloom on these. (I would really, really be
> surprised if that happened)

Hi Chris,

I had the same situation last year with bearded iris I got at a local club
auction. Instead of planting them outdoors I potted them and put them
under metal halide lights with my daylily seedlings. They were all SDBs
except a RE TB Frequent Flyer. The SDBs were Paul Blacks Wacko, Tune Town
and Pirates Patch and Aitkins Lumalite. All started growing almost
immediately and even increased. Lumalite and FF increased by one rhizome
and Paul Blacks SDBs increased by several rhizomes making clumps almost
immediately. It seemed as if the long dormant period had been good for
them. I planted them outside in the Spring and they did fine  but of
course did not bloom. I think if I were going to plant outside this late
here I would mulch pretty heavy or maybe put a rock or brick over most of
the rhizome. Putting the dried roots into the ground might help anchor
the rhizomes. I actually did plant some rhizomes out later than this once
and mulched. They survived but did not look healthy until the next Fall.
Of course your climate is different.

By the way, Spirit World,Mind Reader and Fancy Woman, although beautiful
do not grow well for me. Fancy Woman is a little stronger than the
others.