Re: SPEC: Iris unguicularis

From: Wjobe@aol.com

Hi Mark,
I brought two pots of Iris unguiculris.  I planted one  in the ground on the
south
side of the house the other is in the greenhouse for now,till I see how the
other
one does in KY climate. I am also experimenting with Crinum Lilys. I have
about
twelve pots and that can take a lot of room in the greenhouse!!  I left them
outside
and they did get frost, so I trimmed the leaves all the way back before I put
them
in the greenhouse. But I did ,also, plant a couple on the southside. I even
put my
Firemans cap  tree (shrub for me) out on the south side.  In NM it would die
all
the way back to the ground. But came up bushier every spring!  I have mulched
all with leaves about 6 inches thick. Did you ever grow tropicals outside here
?
I found an agapanthus in Evensville In. that is supposed to be hardy here. It
will
also go on the southside.  I'm tempted to even try a start of Morea iris,
outside next spring,to give it plenty of time to take hold and then mulch it
very good come fall. I won't put the whole thing out, just in case... I'm
always experimenting and sometimes it even works!!!
Leslie

At last! The perfect gifts for baseball fans...or anyone. Merchandise from
the Sonoma County Crushers, champions of the Western Baseball League (USA).
Go to http://www.icatmall.com/crushers