Re: SPEC:autumn die-back:tectorum

From: phoenixflr@juno.com

My experience with I tectorum much more positive than Dorothy or Kathy,
only a few hundred miles west and, I believe, in similar zone.  I think
the difference might have to do with our very sandy and thus
sharply-drained soil.  We also usually have good snow cover, but that
hardly seems different from KG in Buffalo!

We've grown tectorum alba since the mid-eighties when we received it from
Lillian and Jim Gristwood.  The only time we had a problem was when we
divided and transplanted it in October one year--lost a lot then.  We got
the blue form from our local sale about 5 yrs ago and it seems to grow
identically well.  Our sons run a landscaping business and they like it a
lot because it has consistently excellent foliage which continues to look
good until cut down by hard freeze.

PS:  I got caught by the Bluebird Nursery offering of "variegated
tectorum" too--I'll be giving some refunds next Spring!  Have any of you
communicated this mislabeling to them?  The Hamerniks are very ethical
people and I think would be distressed to know about this.  If I don't
hear in the affirmative I will contact them.

Helen Schueler
Phoenix NY, Zone 5a