CULT: Dry Soil

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Hi All,
We have had extremely hot weather here in Victoria (Australia). The temp
soared to 40C Friday and Saturday, but we had rain all day Sunday and
it's like winter again now.
I have been preparing a new garden bed for planting, and the soil is
imported, supposedly a mixture of Compost and Sand. With the rain all
day yesterday, I thought the soil would be well wet, but cultivation
showed that only the top 1/4" was damp, the rest dry. I put the soaker
hose on it for 2 hours, and this morning it is still bone dry beneath
the first 1" of soil. The water does not appear to be running off. I
have cultivated it thoroughly again, and intend to soak it for another 2
hours. I thought I'd go to the local garden centre and ask about wetting
agents. With summer coming on, I need to know I can get water dowm to
the roots of anything I plant there.
Anyone else had this experience, and have any ideas?

Cheers, Jan Clark, in Australia, Where WITCHING is currently putting up
a reblooming stalk.