Re: CULT: Purple Leaf Bases

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>

> From: Randy C. Meuir
> >
> Jeff or Vince,
> I found your discussion very interesting because I was thinking of
> hybridizing to extend the purple base throughout most of the length of
> leaf. (clip)
> Most of my other INSTRUCTOR seedlings have pbf. I believe I read
> that SPINNING WHEEL was from I. aphylla breeding. If this is correct it
> could be the source of the pbf genes in my INSTRUCTOR seedlings. I do
> know that the SPINNING WHEEL decendants that I grow, eg. POINT IN TIME,
> are very strong plants here. They are also some of my favorite flowers.
> Do you know if I. aphylla is in the background of SPINNING WHEEL? Do you
> think extending the purple throughout most of the leaf would have any
> effect on the health (or strength)of the plant?

SPINNING WHEEL is descended at least twice from I. aphylla through BELLE
MEADE (Wills, '52). I grow BM (at least I do if I have the Real McCoy - it
hasn't bloomed here yet) and mine does not show any trace of pbf. If BM
truly does not have pbf, then it would not be able to pass this trait on to
its descendants, at least if my understanding is correct and pbf is a
dominant trait that must be expressed to some extent by its carriers in
each generation. SW also traces to I. variegata since it has a number of
pinks in its ancestry, and as Ben Hager pointed out in his article in the
special AIS 75th Anniversary Bulletin, pink color in bearded irises is
ultimately derived from I. variegata.

The Innerst plicatas are strong growers here, as is GLITZ 'N GLITTER (which
is somewhat unusual for a Paul Black iris in these parts). I am not sure
that extending the purple color throughout the leaf would, in itself, have
an effect on the vigor of the plant. My feeling is that pbf is a visible
sign that the irises that display it have received some of their
inheritance from the hardiest species that contributed to the make-up of
modern TBs.

Where we are trapped in an atmospheric inversion with temperatures stuck
between zero and 20 degrees F.