CULT: SPECIES: aphylla vs variegata (was CULT: Purple Leaf Bases)

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: CULT: SPECIES: aphylla vs variegata (was CULT: Purple Leaf Bases)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:03:07 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

> SPINNING WHEEL is descended at least twice from I. aphylla through BELLE
> MEADE (Wills, '52). ....SW also traces to I. variegata since it has a number of
> pinks in its ancestry, and as Ben Hager pointed out in his article in the
> special AIS 75th Anniversary Bulletin, pink color in bearded irises is
> ultimately derived from I. variegata.

One of my big experiments this year has been to get clones of I.
aphylla, I. variegata, and historics with a strong dose of I. variegata
ancestry to compare how they grow in this dreadful place called 'garden'
here.  My impression so far is that aphylla genes don't like heat or
being drowned in water, at least at relatively warm temperatures, but
they are pretty good at dropping their leaves and hunkering down to wait
for better times.  Variegata seems to handle the combination of heat and
water better, and seems to be able to keep some greenery going to take
advantage of marginal growing conditions.  But that's just my impression
- stay tuned till next year when I can report some real observations.
If my impressions are correct, aphylla will contribute to consistant
super performance north of here (wonderful cold tolerance), but will be
more dependant on soil and variations in growing season farther south.

Ian sent me a couple of clones of I. reichenbachii this fall & I can
hardly wait to see how they do here.  So far they seem to think this is
a fine place to live.

Seasonal behavior of foliage (several hard freezes over the last few
months, lowest mid-20s F):

aphylla - lost its leaves shortly after arrival this summer.  no new
growth, potted or otherwise.

variegata - still has foliage, kinda ratty looking

reichenbachii - lost foliage, but has grown new little short nubs of
leaves

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA