Re: CULT: Dry Soil

From: Iarejan@aol.com

Hi Jan,
     Our soil is primarily sand here, with maybe a top layer 3-4 inches of
organic matter from the surrounding trees.   I mounded up about a foot of
native soil combined with compost and about 1/3 of this product called "Smart
Soil", available
here in the states (don't know about there) which is supposed to have moisture
holding properties of some kind.  I'm sorry that I forget what exactly is in
it besides some peat moss ...I seem to remember it being a "poly" something,
probably man made...I don't have any more bags laying around or I'd go out and
check.  I'll try to stop by our Lowe's garden center and take note of what's
in this stuff.   Anyway, it seems to help hold the mosture...remember it
saying that it makes moisture available to roots as the soil dries out or
something like that.  I would think something like this is available near you.
Hope I helped.

Janet N.
zone 8 of South CArolina, USA