From: "Merrily A. Smith" <merrilyann@erols.com>

I'm not sure it's about reblooming any more.  This weekend I discovered
Snoqualmie sending up a flower stalk, and the old fashioned blue iris that
used to be in everbody's yard are sending up bloom stalks too.

Is it possible that the lengthy drought through the fall created a false
dormancy in these plants, and with warm temperatures and rain they "thought"
it was spring?

We have also had some cherry blossoms come out, though the horticulturalist
in charge of keeping DC cherries alive for tourism assured his TV audience
that the trees were in fact dormant and that these few blossoms wouldn't
affect spring bloom.

It's hard for me to see bloom stalks emerging from unlikely sources and
still believe that I'll have flowers in the spring.  Maybe I'm just being a
worrywart.  But I must confess that you folks are the only people I know
with whom I can wonder out loud.   My friends and co-workers just give me
that "deer in the headlights" look.

Merrily in Washington, DC
Capital Hill