PCN Seedlings

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Dennis Kramb wrote:

>  But since the soil is so cold (like, frozen), they're literally heaving
>  themselves up out of the ground!  In a panic I brought them inside.  It
>  appears only about 25% of them have germinated.  But most of those will
>  likely die because the roots, fans, and seed covers are completley above
>  ground.  One or two is growing "normally."

>  First of all, should I try to replant the exposed ones?  Or is it too
>  delicate a process?

If there's room in the pot, the easier solution is to add a bit more soil.
Otherwise, let the soil thaw out completely then use a small object such as
a pencil to lift each seedling out of the original pot and move it to a new
one.  As long as you don't break off the growing tip or knock the seed off,
it should be O.K.

>  Second of all, doesn't it freeze in the Pacific Northwest???  I'm
>  these seedlings picked such a awful time to try to germinate.  It's like
>  mass suicide pact, or something.

For all of the species I've tested, the CHANGE in temperature serves as a
germination trigger.  My guess is that these poor babies thought they were
facing nice fall weather instead of tull-fledged winter.

Sharon McAllister