Re: PCN: seedlings

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Hi All,
Just thought I'd report on my PCN's from Vicki,

My seedlings are 6" tall, and still in their jiffy pots. (I resolve to
plant them before Christmas). I know the main difference is the season,
BUT - I soaked them for 3 days, and planted them in peat pellets, 2
seeds per pot,and sat them on a warm window sill. They germinated in 6
weeks, same as those I grew last year, and I had 95% germination. I
controlled their moisture level carefully, although they are now
toughing it out in rain and sunshine, and it seems to have very little
effect on them. The beauty of the peat pellets, is that there is no
transplant shock, as the roots aren't disturbed. Seeds that I planted in
the ground last year did very poorly - about 3% germination, and 2 more
seedlings came up a year later, so the peat pot method is the best in my
I'm sure peat moss is the same in the U.S. and Sunny windowsills are
probably not a lot different either - perhaps double glazed in some

Cheers, Jan Clark