Re: REB: rebloom/bloom?

From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>

Merrily A. Smith wrote
>Is it possible that the lengthy drought through the fall created a false
>dormancy in these plants, and with warm temperatures and rain they "thought"
>it was spring?
In my Arkansas "garden" (read: yard) the Dutch iris are now eight inches
tall, the crocus and star flower foliage is well up, the poor hydrangeas -
all too frequent weather victims here - are greening at the tip, and I can
see the neighbor's forsythia breaking bud.

An arctic cold front bears down on us from the Northwest, and meanwhile,
Merrily suspects Spring has invaded her D.C. garden. Certainly Arkansas
irisers have harvested more than our normal armloads of rebloom.

Seems to me what's going on is the mid-South pattern of erratic cold,
erratic growth has been intensified and allowed to seep over most of the
nation. Folks in Indiana and New York are learning what it's like to live
in Arkansas, Kentucky and Texas.

Next we'll be hearing complaints from those parts about leaf spot in
December. Any evidence yet that the borer has begun its active cycle early?

Go away, 1998. I do not like you.

Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level,
average rainfall about 50 inches (more than 60" in '97, but we're headed
for about 42" in '98)
average relative humidity (at 6 a.m.) 84%.
moderate winters, hot summers ... but lots of seesaw action in all seasons