Re: SPEC: Iris unguicularis

From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>

Hi, all,

My unguicularis died this summer during our second mini-drought. I was
rather surprised, since I had been led to believe it liked a dry summer.
Maybe not quite so dry and quite so hot, though.

It was a two-year-old clump -- made it through last year's winter just
fine. The place I planted it was fairly well-protected from wind and from
afternoon sun, slightly alkaline soil, good drainage.

Any comments?

Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level,
average rainfall about 50 inches (more than 60" in '97, but we're headed
for about 42" in '98)
average relative humidity (at 6 a.m.) 84%.
moderate winters, hot summers ... but lots of seesaw action in all seasons