Re: SPEC: names

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>They are both crosses of I. ensata and I. versicolor.  I believe that they
>are the same -- just called differently by the hybridizers.  I suspect that
>versata (and biversata) will become more common usage as Tony Huber's
>crosses are gaining widespread recognition.

I think the terminology indicates that versatas are (versicolor x ensata)
and that ensicolors are (ensata X versicolor).  Because of the possibility
of maternal inheritance, this makes a great difference.  Biversatas are
(versicolor x (versicolor x ensata)) or ((versicolor x ensata) x
versicolor).  The few biversatas I have grown from seed appeared to be
almost pure versicolor--not surprising since versicolor has been recorded
as having up to 108 chromosomes (108, 105, 84 and 72 have been counted) and
enstata has 24.  The ensata chromosomes get lost in the meiotic process, or
certainly reduced to a small minority.

The pictures of Tony's irises are awesome.  Look at that branching from
versicolor!  When and where and by whom are these being introduced?

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943