Re: AIS 1999 Convention Registration Web Page

From: Greer Holland <mindpath@flash.net>

Pat Bass wrote:
> From: Pat Bass <bpbass@gj.net>
> Dana Brown wrote:
> > From: Dana Brown <ddbro@llano.net>
> >
> > > We are pleased to announce that we now have a web page devoted to
> > > convention registration information for the 1999 AIS Convention in
> > > Oklahoma City next May.
> >
> Dana,
> I went to your website and enjoyed it.  I printed the first report of "AIS
> 1999 National Convention,"  both first and second pages to send to my
> friends in Kansas (who do not have computers) and was successful in printing
> that, but when I tried to print the second report on "OKC is the Place To Be
> in 1999"  I ran into trouble.  I printed the first page and about four or
> five letters on the right side of the page didn't print and I could not
> print anything beyond the last line on that page that starts "the Woodruff,
> Fernandes and Watson gardens, etc."   When I tried to print page two there
> was nothing on it.  Am I doing something wrong or do I need to change
> something on my printer or what?  I was hoping to send them the information
> so perhaps we could go together.  I wanted to send them the whole report if
> possible.  Any comments from anyone would be welcome.  Thanks.
> Pat in CO--Snow, COLD!
> > Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7 Usda, Zone 10 Sunset
> > Average:   rainfall of 17.76", wind speed of 12.5 mph, 164 days
> > of clear weather, 96 of which dip below freezing.

Dear Pat,
     Thank you for letting me know of the problems with the web page.  I
used Microsoft Web Publisher to do this and it is the first web page I
have tried to put together.  I think I have corrected the problem on
page 2 for those trying to print it, but just in case, I have printed
the information you requested below.  When I printed out the new version
of web page 2 after the changes, the text was small and not justified on
the right side any longer, but it printed out fine.  Would you please
try printing it again from the web site and let me know how it goes?
Thank you so much.  We hope to see you next spring.

Best regards,
Mona French

     The Sooner State Iris Society and Region 22 invite you to Oklahoma
City for the annual convention of The American Iris Society, May 4-8,
1999.  Headquarters will be the Biltmore Oklahoma.
     Tour gardens are all inside the Oklahoma City Metropolitan Area so
that bus rides will all be short.  The tours go from the southern
suburbs of Blanchard and Newcastle to the northern suburb of Edmond, and
to the west to Yukon.  Four gardens inside the city limits are on tour.
Scheduling has been done to assure that a small number of people will be
in any one garden at one time.
     With financial help form nearly all the iris clubs in Arkansas and
Oklahoma, the committee has been able to set a registration fee which
should allow any AIS member to attend.
     Airport courtesy vans are available, and the hotel is just a few
minutes away from the airport.
     Early registrations are requested.  Banquet facilities may not be
large enough and early registration will help us know if a change in
banquet locations will be required or if attendance must be limited.  If
you know you will NOT attend either of the banquets, please inform the
     A large number of guest irises have been received, and these have
been planted in eleven gardens.  These gardens range from small to
large.  Perry Dyer’s Contemporary Garden is the only commercial iris
garden on tour, but the Woodruff, Fernandes and Watson gardens are
spacious and feature all the guest plants.  The Fernandes garden has
many types of other plants and the water gardens are spectacular, both
here and next door.
     The Parrish-Skrapka, Hawley, Jones, Beasley, Scott and Matthews
gardens are regular home gardens with some twists.  The Parrish-Skrapka
garden is spacious with huge clumps of irises and many trees, but other
different things you’ll see include a working oil well, a planting in
the middle of a divided street, and a commercial outlet for some pretty
exotic plants.     The Will Rogers Park Garden is a public planting and
is maintained by the Oklahoma Iris Society.
     No pre-convention tours are scheduled, but arrangements can be made
for visitors to see the Murrah Memorial (site of the Oklahoma City
bombing), the National Cowboy Hall of Fame, the State Capitol with oil
wells on the grounds, the Omniplex Science Museum, the Myriad Gardens or
other places of interest.
     All types of restaurants are within walking distance of the hotel
headquarters.  Parking is free to those who drive (Meridian exit off
I-40).  The hotel is a two story building and very sprawling, so if you
have any problems with walking, please request a room close to the
meeting rooms when making reservations.
     What will the weather be?  Who knows!  This is changeable Oklahoma,
you know.  We can assure you that it won’t snow!  Normally, May weather
is warm, probably humid and perhaps windy.  Do bring rain gear, just in
case.  However, we have requested no rain for tour week.  By the way, we
have flattened all the mountains so that the buses will have no
difficulty in reaching the gardens.
     We in Oklahoma pride ourselves on our friendly ways.  Join us this
spring for irises, and for fun, and we’ll be the friendly folks who will
be glad you joined us.
     Remember, OKC IS THE PLACE TO BE.  Only one month after the AIS
Convention, some of the same gardens will host the AHS National