Re: Subject: BULBS (sources for reticulata cvs)

From: "R. Dennis Hager" <rdhager@dmv.com>

> Does anyone sell named cvs of I. reticulata, I. danfordiae, etc.?

Kathy Guest suggested VanEngelen, a wholesale bulb broker. I have bought
from them for years and recommend them highly. Their 1998 catalog listed
6 cvs of reticulata--most were below $15.00 per 100 bulbs. At that
price, I've used them like crocus, nestled in groups of 10-20 bulbs in
the shrub border. From a distance, even experienced gardeners visiting
have assumed that they are croci--not expecting to see a swath of

They also have good prices on paperwhites for forcing (if you can use 50
of them--makes a great Christmas gift) and an incredible selection of
other spring bulbs. I have found that the quality of their bulbs is far
superior to those I have seen in garden centers.

VanEngelen can be reached at:

 Van Engelen Inc.
 23 Tulip Drive
 Bantam, Connecticut 06750
 Phone: (860)567-8734
 Fax: (860)567-5323
 E-mail: catalog@vanengelen.com
 Website: www.vanengelen.com

R. Dennis Hager
on Delmarva
Where it's balmy a 60 F and raining--that won't last long.