CULT:REB: archives, tough ones, etc

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Some of my posts haven't gotten much onlist response for the last month
or so, but now and then somebody comes along a year later and sends me a
note after reading the archives :).  I seem to be really good at making
unanswerable comments and asking unanswerable questions.....

For example, Vince Lewonski wrote me offlist:
> Saw your wish for a listing of what months rebloomers bloom in the
> Archives. I have a copy of The Reblooming Iris Recorder, Spring 1998,
> Vol. 51 that lists rebloom by months. The data was based on only four
> gardens, though (VA, NM, and CA), so if something is not listed as
> blooming in a garden, it could mean that it didn't bloom, or that it
> wasn't grown in that garden. Gardens listed are zones 6, 7, 9, and 10.

I replied to him with some 'rhetorical' questions:
>  What you describe might be interesting even tho not directly > applicable here.  For instance, I could compare the month of rebloom of > ones that I know about to get some idea of the relative timing of > potential rebloom.
> One thing I don't understand (in terms of what the physiology of the > plants is/does) is how come zone 7-8 rebloomers will bloom all summer > on the west coast and not at all here (assuming they can live in the > first place).  Is it because our summer nights are so much warmer that > that they never get triggered to rebloom?  Or does the combination of > heat and humidity during the day turn them off?  Makes it hard to > interpret info from other regions of the country.

Vince also sent a list of TBs that he said were among his tough ones -
some were ones I have grown that were tough here also & Julie Allen in
middle Tennessee had some success with some of the others.  Anybody else
want to see this list?

Most amazing iris connection for the month is learning that my sister
and Bill Shear taught at the same college a few decades ago!

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
power has only been off briefly (ice storm), worried about Walter Moores
visit to Texas, & I'm not moving till the weather settles down.  Merry
Christmas to everybody.