Re: CULT:REB: archives, tough ones, etc

From: "Mike Sutton" <suttons@lightspeed.net>

-----Original Message-----

>From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
>Some of my posts haven't gotten much onlist response for the last month
>or so, but now and then somebody comes along a year later and sends me a
>note after reading the archives :).  I seem to be really good at making
>unanswerable comments and asking unanswerable questions.....
>For example, Vince Lewonski wrote me offlist:
>> Saw your wish for a listing of what months rebloomers bloom in the
>> Archives. I have a copy of The Reblooming Iris Recorder, Spring 1998,
>> Vol. 51 that lists rebloom by months. The data was based on only four
>> gardens, though (VA, NM, and CA), so if something is not listed as
>> blooming in a garden, it could mean that it didn't bloom, or that it
>> wasn't grown in that garden. Gardens listed are zones 6, 7, 9, and 10.
>I replied to him with some 'rhetorical' questions:
>>  What you describe might be interesting even tho not directly >
applicable here.  For instance, I could compare the month of rebloom of >
ones that I know about to get some idea of the relative timing of >
potential rebloom.
>> One thing I don't understand (in terms of what the physiology of the >
plants is/does) is how come zone 7-8 rebloomers will bloom all summer > on
the west coast and not at all here (assuming they can live in the > first
place).  Is it because our summer nights are so much warmer that > that they
never get triggered to rebloom?  Or does the combination of > heat and
humidity during the day turn them off?  Makes it hard to > interpret info
from other regions of the country.
Hi Linda,
We were one of the gardens in the reblooming checklist.  Maybe I can help
with part of your question.  We line out as many as 10,000 of one variety.
At some time during the summer and fall one plant out of all those is going
to rebloom.  I have started making notes on heavy rebloom (defined by @75%
of the lined out plants reblooming at one time).  It seems that soil ph also
has a lot to do with it, we have neutral soil which the iris seem to love.
We have another farm with iris on it and the soil is a little bit acidic and
they don't do as well there.  Humidity will cut back on rebloom but heat
won't.  Our summers are very hot and we get heavy rebloom during the hottest
months.  We will occasionally get some humid days in the summer and it seems
to set back rebloom a tad bit. We also irrigate every three weeks in the
summer, that might help by bringing down overall soil temps.  By far the
biggest contributor to rebloom that I have observed is fresh soil.  When we
push out more walnut trees and plant reblooming iris the tendency to rebloom
is greatly increased, in fact many oncers will rebloom.  This year we had
Tennessee Gentleman rebloom heavily for June and July, Timescape, Tempting
Fate, Composed, Broadway, Gambler, Gold speculator, Pirates Quest to name a
few others that don't normally rebloom for us, rebloomed this past year I
believe because they were planted in fresh soil.  If you can bring in some
fresh soil and dig and separate I bet your rebloom results will skyrocket.
I am of course assuming that you haven't brought in fresh soil yet, if you
have so much for my observations!  Hope this helps.
Mike Sutton