Re: CULT:REB: archives, tough ones, etc

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Gerry wrote:

> Donald Eaves wrote:
> >
> > .....  When I have extended periods of warm nighttime temps, many
plants
> > simply don't survive no matter how assiduous I am in keeping them
mulched
> > and moist.
>
> Are you sure that keeping them moist when it is hot is not a part of the
> problem?  Sounds like a perfect recipe for rot to me. I would think that
> strict avoidance of mulch and once-a-week deep soaking would be much
safer.

That's about how often I water, if that often.  I guess moist is relative.
Water is
a very expensive commodity for me, so soaking and mulching are about my
only
alternatives.  I have had some taprooted plants rot, but that has been due
to an
extended period of summer rain, rather than my own contributions.  Humidity
is
not usually high here in this part of Texas.

Daondl Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7