Re: CULT:REB: archives, tough ones, etc

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: CULT:REB: archives, tough ones, etc
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 11:09:10 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Mike Sutton in the rebloom capital in California wrote:
> It seems that soil ph also
> has a lot to do with it, we have neutral soil which the iris seem to love.

I haven't experimented with pH with my plants, tho some were planted
around a pile of leftover limestone gravel for a while.  I couldn't see
much difference in performance & suspect that varies a lot for different
'bloodlines'.  Bernice Miller used to experiment with pH
tolerance/preferences I think.

> If you can bring in some
> fresh soil and dig and separate I bet your rebloom results will skyrocket.

Well, been there, done that.  In my garden, cultivation seems to be the
key, not the 'newness' of the soil.  & some cultivars seem to DEMAND it
& others don't care.  The pallida types seem to thrive in abandoned
neglect even in dense sod, as long as they get some fertilizer.

> We will occasionally get some humid days in the summer and it seems
> to set back rebloom a tad bit.

And Donald Eaves in Texas replied to my comment:
>>  Is it because our summer nights are so much warmer that > that they never
>> get triggered to rebloom?
>
> I'll place my bets on this one.  Not only rebloom, but the overall
> performance of the plant(s),
> and not just irises.  When I have extended periods of warm nighttime temps,
> many plants
> simply don't survive

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike - what are typical nighttime low temperatures when it's really hot
in the summer where you are?  Around here, lows rarely get below the low
70s for the summer months UNLESS the humidity drops way down.  That 'wet
blanket' keeps the heat in.

Donald, what are the nighttime temps when your poor plants are hard to
keep alive?

We had some discussion about the problems that cool weather plants have
in warmer climates way back (Bill Shear?  Lloyd Z?) - the word was they
just keep 'panting' (respiration) all night long & burn up too much
energy to survive.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
ho ho ho merry christmas everybody!  may your irises never rot and bloom
continuously!