Re: CULT:REB: archives, tough ones, etc

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello folks,
Linda asks:
> Donald, what are the nighttime temps when your poor plants are hard to
> keep alive?
It is not unusual to have several weeks with night temps in the low to
70's.  Our humidity is not high as a general rule, so I'm talking basic
night temps.  Last summer we went for over a week with it sitting in the
to mid 80's.  Plants that tolerate this seem to be of the tropical variety;
Chinese hibiscus, bougainvilla and that sort of ilk.  Irises sulk, mums
up on death row, daylilies self thin themselves (sometimes nearly to
Some plants stress, but manage okay; e.g. platycodon, achillea.  Siberians
get real marginal, enough so that I fully expect to lose any next year
The JI I have (one now) didn't mind the heat as long as it didn't get to
The LA BLACK GAMECOCK is supposed to semi-dormant and the spuria
goes dormant, so who knows.  Certainly neither seemed to have any effects
come this autumn.  I guess I'll see how they bloom next year.  Some of the
native plants I've moved into the flowerbeds were interesting as a
Their survival rate was good, as you would expect, but their performance
sub par as compared to periods with cooler nights.  They responded fast to
cool nights, but almost as quickly sulked when they returned to warm night

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7