Re: CULT:REB: archives, tough ones

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: CULT:REB: archives, tough ones
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 07:37:39 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Dennis Kramb asked:
> I remember a suggestion regarding filling empty 2 liter bottles with water
> and freezing them.  Then leaving these next to (on top of) the irises.
> Have you tried that yet?

I did try that this summer & learned that the hot ground and air would
melt the ice to water faster than I would remember to go check and see
how they were holding up. I tried piling about 4 of them in a heap after
sundown and they were completely thawed & didn't make a dent in the soil
temperature right next to them by the next morning.  So much for that
bright idea.  Maybe if I had kept it up for several days & heaped
insulation over the top it would have worked.  WAY too much trouble.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA